Hey everyone, here I am on yet another Friday when I should have a nice, well-written, meme-intense Friday Five for ya, and yet I’m yawning and scratching and just generally not ready for this AT ALL!
So to any of my readers who are also bloggers, how do YOU do it? What do you do when you’ve made a commitment to blog on certain days, and you get to those days and just don’t feel like blogging?
- Do you just get up and write whatever comes into your mind, like a stream of consciousness thing?
- Do you just post a bunch of pictures, with minimal or no comments?
- Do you just say, “Sorry folks, no blog today, see ya next time”?
- Do you prepare “emergency blog posts” ahead of time and keep them in reserve for just such occasions?
- Or do you just not post anything at all, and hope nobody will notice?
I’m genuinely interested in your answers, suggestions and/or tips! Go on, share your wisdom!
Thanks, and I’ll see you Monday, when I should be over my temporary writer’s block!
Hey everyone! I’m still officially on vakay, but since my niece Rachel and her pal Ashley are still busily keeping THEIR blog, “Simply Us,” up to date, I thought I’d share with you one of their recent posts, with a whole lot of wisdom in it! Enjoy!
New Year New Me. New Year’s Resolutions and Tips for Sticking To Them
Today I thought, rather than subject you to yet another nonstop memefest (that’ll be Monday, thank you!), I’d introduce you to five of my fellow WordPress bloggers!
I think Penny Wilson was one of the first people to click “like” on any of my posts, so naturally she’s gotta be number one on any of my blog lists! Penny describes herself as “a free-lance writer who’s been blogging for more than 5 years.” She manages the (to me) incredible feat of blogging EVERY DAY, and given that I can barely manage twice a week, my hat’s off to her!
A close second to Penny is Emily’s Zombie Flamingos, another blogger who’s been kind enough to visit my page regularly for a long time. Her schtick is that she lives “in Victoria, BC, Canada with my optometrist husband and 3 insane cats in an 1907 Heritage house that we will never finish renovating.” And (also like Penny Wilson), she seems to have a new post pretty much every day, accompanied at least one of her own beautiful photos! Well worth bookmarking!
Martin Alvarez has some great recommendations for non-gimmicky weight loss and fitness. No pills, no weird stuff, just sensible nutrition and workout advice. I don’t necessarily agree with all his nutrition recommendations (as you know, I’m more into calorie counting than low carb), but then again, he’s “a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and NASM Fitness Nutrition Specialist,” so what do I know? Anyway, check him out!
This isn’t a weight loss blog (although I thought it was at first, because of the title – you know, curves?). Instead, it’s one woman’s experiences with bipolar disorder. Kimberly lives in Michigan and has been blogging here since May 2017, and writes beautifully. Having had family members and friends with this problem, I find her posts very honest, brave, and yes, sometimes funny! Drop by and say hi!
And last but not least, take a look at Troy Martin’s TM Fitness! Troy says he has 10 years experience as a personal trainer and nutrition coach, and strives to put evidence-based articles on his blog and website. Excellent motivation and advice here, plus He’s located in Hitchin, a small town in England, which automatically makes me want to read all his blog posts with the English accent I’ve acquired (in my head) from such fine educational programs as “Downtown Abbey” and “Doctor Who.”
I hope you’ll take a little time today to visit all these sites. Give ’em a like and tell ’em 50by60.com said hey! And if you have any blogs you’d like to recommend, by all means, please let me know in the comments — I’m always looking for new reading material! Meanwhile, have a great weekend! See you Monday for the weigh-in!
Well, Labor Day week was nice (and short), but this is the first FULL work week for a lot of you, so my sympathies! Mr. 50by60 is definitely not looking forward to it. Still, keep in mind, as you head back to work or school, we’re ALSO heading full-tilt towards some of the tastiest and best-smelling holidays of the year!
With that in mind, let’s check the ol’ scales, shall we?
Only 0.6 pounds down since the holidays, but hey, I’ll take it! Better down than up, right?
Hey, here’s something fun — I’m working on setting up a fancy-schmancy Excel chart showing my weight loss in line graph fashion! What I mean by “fun” is fun to LOOK at, not necessarily fun to WORK on. I’ve always hated Excel to begin with (nothing personal, Excel, I hate Quattro Pro too!), and I’ve never been good at graphs, line or pie.
Still, it’s something I’ve been meaning to do for a while now (since, ahem, the day I started this blog, no, I’m NOT lazy!). With any luck I’ll have it finished and displaying properly on its own little page. I’ll let you know for sure on Friday! Meanwhile, have a great week!
- Hey, everyone! Like most of you, Mr. 50by60 and I had a short work week, since Monday was a big holiday here in the Lower 48. (You know, Labor Day — aka my birthday?) Which means Tuesday was your Monday, right? So Tuesday’s Monday, Wednesday’s Tuesday, Thursday’s Wednesday, and ipso facto ergo sum, today’s really Thursday and I’m a day early! What a great week!
- And I actually did get something useful done this week — as mentioned in my previous post, I created a brand new page here at WordPress, Women Who Run With the Stooges! Which, technically, isn’t “new” because I originally created it in 1999. Yes, kids, we actually had computers in the PREVIOUS CENTURY!
And this was one of the many websites (or as we called them in the olden days, “websites”) I created back then, but the only one anyone but myself actually read. And it was really getting kind of sad, seeing it dying a slow painful death over at Angelfire (ick!), so now it’s here and safe and (theoretically) better than ever! (If nothing else, it’s forced me to relearn HTML coding, nyuk nyuk!)
- Yesterday I had a fun time: went to the dentist for a cleaning. Not just a regular cleaning, though — a DEEP CLEANING! And they had to give me Novocaine & everything ’cause I’m so sensitive. Somehow, some of the Novocaine actually got in/near my right eye, and my eyelid felt like it was stuck for most of the day. I had to force myself to blink so it wouldn’t water all over the place. It’s better this morning, thank goodness. Don’t you love going to the dentist?
- Earlier in the week (pre-numb-eyeball), I went to Anytime Fitness Chatsworth where I mentioned to Kaily that I’d reached my weight loss goal (50 pounds by age 60, aka the name of this blog!) last week. She congratulated me and did a little video interview with me right on the spot. My plan was to post the video here, then send them the link to this post to put on their Facebook page. However, as of this morning, I still don’t see it anywhere, so I’ll just post this charming spacesaver till I get it.
- Whew…it’s tough to come up with five things, much less five things that have anything whatsoever in common.
(and P.S. – thanks to excellent blogger Penny Wilson for her great suggestions!)
Either way, my hat’s off to Amy Welborn who manages to come up with SEVEN things every Friday, fer cryin’ out loud!
That’s it! Time to carpe the diem and make some toast or something! Have a great day and weekend, everyone — see you Monday!
Hey, everyone — thought I’d let you know that, in addition to continuing this site focusing on my weight loss, I’m also reviving and rescuing one of my beloved OLD websites, “Women Who Run With the Stooges” — all about, well, women who like the Three Stooges!
I had originally created it at Angelfire, and frankly, it’s been rotting away over there, links dying, ads popping up, spam everywhere. So I decided, what the hey? Why not move the best parts of it over here to WordPress and make it all shiny and sparkly new, if possible?
Anyway, that’s the plan! So if you enjoy my blog — and you’re a Three Stooges fan — hope you’ll check out the new site as well. It’s definitely still a work in progress, but I’ll try to get some more stuff up within the next few days.
A blogger named Kaylee (Chair in the Shade), wrote an amusing post on July 27, 2017, listing her “12 Excuses Why There’s No Blog Post Today.” Go over and read it — then I’m going to shamelessly borrow the following five of her reasons:
- My life is boring. I don’t have anything good to post.
Actually, my life really isn’t that boring. However, it seems kind of boring and lame when I try to describe it to other people. Perhaps I’m not as good a writer as she is!
- I have nothing to say.
Well, that’s not quite true — I always have a lot to say, but most of the time I realize later I probably shouldn’t have said it!
- I need to clean my house.
Hmm…well, that kinda goes without saying. And just saying it isn’t going to clean the house. I am doing laundry today, though.
- I should really read some other blogs for inspiration.
Now THAT is definitely true! And there’s quite a few excellent bloggers out there too, even in this age of Instagram and Twitter! Kaylee’s just one of them. Check out my Blogroll (off to the right somewhere, depending on which app/program you’re using to read this), and you’ll undoubtedly find someone you like.
- I don’t want to be copying other bloggers.
Yes, which is why I DEFINITELY won’t be copying any of Kaylee’s other 12 reasons! However, I do want to thank her for inspiring me this morning! And yes, I’m adding her blog to my Blogroll, as soon as I figure out how to work that widget! Thanks, Kaylee!
Have a great day, everyone — see you Monday for the Last Weigh-In Before The Big Vacation (which I’ll tell you about Monday!)!
Well, it’s been a fun week! Thanks to everyone who cheered me on and helped me along the way!
However, now that I’ve reached my goal weight (the FIRST goal, that is — I’ll be setting a new one soon!), I realized that, fat or thin, there are a few things that won’t change — even though I kinda hoped they would!
- Most people don’t notice — or care — as much about your weight as you do. Sure, there are always a few people around you in your day-to-day life — your spouse, your kids, your fellow employees, etc. — who are aware of your weight challenges. But there’s a whole lot more people who don’t know, or care, that you used to be fat and now you’re slightly less fat. The cashier at the grocery store doesn’t really care that you’re buying more fruits and veggies and fewer giant bags of Nacho Cheese Doritos. All she wants is to go home and soak her feet and binge-watch “Downton Abbey” for the hundredth time. So keep your ego in check.
- Clothes shopping is easier in some ways, tougher in others. I used to dream about getting thin enough to fit into a beautiful dress that would make me look like a princess. Well, guess what? Fat or thin, you can’t find dresses like that unless you’re currently residing in a palace and/or playing the part of someone who lives in a palace. The fashion these days seems to be sleeveless dresses that show off your underarms, and IMHO that’s not a good look for ANYONE. Also, swimsuits still suck, even in “normal” sizes. There are very few women who don’t feel like “Cathy” when trying on swimsuits.
- No one will read your blog. OK, that’s not fair. YOU’RE not “nobody,” and you’re reading my blog! And believe me, I appreciate it! What I mean, though, is if you haven’t become a major star in the blogging firmament by the time you hit your goal weight, you probably won’t afterwards. I’m still gonna keep blogging though, since it seems to be an important factor in keeping me honest about my weight-crackin’ efforts (“Hmm, I’d really like to eat that second donut, but tomorrow’s ‘Rhymin’ Weigh-in Day’ on the blog, so I better not. Pass the celery, please!”).
- Crappy stuff still needs to be done and you’re the one who has to do them. For example, our sweet cat Princess had to go to the vet this week, which meant getting her into her carrier (helpful hint: “mrrOWW!!” means “NO WAY!!” in Cat-ese), then I drove her to the vet, which is about 5 miles and 5,000,000 angry “mrrOWWs” away (no matter how loud you turn up the radio), paying the vet bill, and driving her home again (repeat angry “mrrOWWs”). Cats don’t care if you’re fat or thin. They just want out out out NOW!!!
- Half the people in the world will hate you. I don’t write about politics or religion in this blog (though at some point I should probably mention that my faith in God was a MAJOR part of my motivation to stay on the diet, so thanks and yay, God!). Still, if you’re a normal person trying to live your life in this beautiful country we call America, you probably know that, no matter what your political views are, about half the country despises you and wishes bad things would happen to you. I won’t go into detail, but rest assured, those dirty looks you were getting at Starbucks this morning when you were reading “National Review,” or at Dunkin’ Donuts when you were perusing the op-ed pages of the “New York Times,” had NOTHING to do with your weight. Isn’t that a relief?
So there you go, five things that won’t really change a whole lot once you’ve reached your goal weight! Does that mean you shouldn’t try? Heck no! There are a lot of things that do change, for the better, and I’ll write about those next Friday. If I remember. Remind me, will you? Thanks, and have a great weekend!!
Hmm, just realized it’s been quite a while since I’ve tried to find five random things and connect them in some way. Let’s see if I still have the knack!
- Non-scale victory — Tried on and BOUGHT three new shirts at Ross yesterday, and two “gently used” shirts from Goodwill — and they were all MEDIUMS and LARGES, y’all!!! Not an “X” in the batch! It’s been years (decades?) since I even thought about looking at any non-X labels, but this week I decided to give it a shot. Plus I even had to buy a coupla new over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders! Yeah, my body is definitely changing, even if the scales aren’t!
- Non-scale irritation — So losing weight is great, right? I’m really happy about it. What I’m not happy about is I definitely have the “loose skin” thing going on. Which I didn’t really notice till I started trying on all those clothes (see #1) and got a good look at myself in one of those unforgiving dressing room mirrors. Oh well — at least the clothes cover it up (mostly)!
- Helpful Trainer Award of the Week — in the neverending (in my mind, anyway) battle between 24 Hour Fitness and Anytime Fitness Chatsworth, this week’s winner is NATHAN at Anytime Fitness, who showed me some basic kettlebell moves and didn’t try to upsell me on a super-expensive training package just for asking for help (24 Hour Fitness, I’m lookin’ at you). Thanks, Nathan — and as promised, here’s your shout-out!
And guess what? I can’t for the life of me think of two other things, and I have to do a coupla things this morning, so many apologies to those of you who were laying awake dreaming about the Friday Five — that’s the way the cookie crumbles!
On that note, have a great weekend! See you Monday for the big weigh-in (this could be it, folks!!)!
Well, hey, everyone! If you were waiting on pins and needles for Friday’s post, I apologize. However, I had a VERY good reason:
Actually, I didn’t forget as much as I just couldn’t think of anything to say. Plus, I went to a really purty place where I spent the day in quiet meditation ‘n stuff.
St. Andrew’s Abbey, Valyermo, CA
So anyway, sorry if you were disappointed, but better late than never, right? Anyway, hope your weekend’s going well! See you Monday for the weigh-in!