- 12-15 Key Limes OR 3-4 regular limes per pie
- 3-4 teaspoons grated lime zest (use a cheese grater on the limes to get this)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (squeezed from the limes after zesting)
- 4 egg yolks
- 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pie crust (any kind you like)
- Zest the limes till you get @ 3 or 4 teaspoons.
- Juice the limes (get ½ a cup).
- Whisk the egg yolks & the lime zest together for @ 2 minutes or until mixture is light green.
- Add in condensed milk and lime juice.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Set mixture aside at room temp till it thickens (usually @ half an hour).
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Once mixture has thickened, pour it into the pie crust.
- Bake on center rack for @ 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool till it’s at room temperature.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.