Well, that title kinda says it all, doesn’t it? Here’s a list of five extravagantly delicious, yummy things I ate this week, because Christmas, and which I won’t eat again till the week of December 25, 2018, because again, Christmas:
- Trader Joe’s Cocoa Truffles. These were a gift from my husband, who’s ostensibly on the same calorie-counting diet as myself, but who, nevertheless, bought me this lovely red-and-gold box of Cocoa Truffles, containing eight servings of Cocoa Truffles, each serving consisting of four truffles and 180 calories per serving. You do the math. I’ll just savor the flavor. Because chocolate.
- Stroopwafels. These were offered up by my mother-in-law at the family Christmas dinner, because a friend of hers at church used to eat them, and she’d passed away, so this was a way of remembering her. Yeah, that’s it. Not because they’re so delicious it’s almost impossible to stop after just one. Because memories.
- Sour cream potato chips and homemade French Onion dip. Well, I don’t know if it was French onion or just onion. Onions is onions, I always say. Anyway, I generally try to stay away from potato chips and really yummy onion dip (French or otherwise) because it’s so easy to get carried away. But this week, I couldn’t. Because ooh-la-la, French onion.
- Soft dinner roll with a big giant pat of butter. Another thing I try to avoid, for the same basic reason as #3 Potato Chips above – they’re just too darn good, and it’s too darn easy to eat too darn much. Butter is 100 calories per tablespoon, and it’s really hard for me to stop at just one tablespoon, once I get started. But it was on the table, and it was Christmas, so I had it. Because butter.
- And finally, what list of Christmas-only favorites would be complete without Trader Joe’s Egg Nog? Not this one, that’s for sure. We still have about half a carton left, and I think we’re going to try to save it for New Year’s Eve. No promises, though. It does taste pretty good in coffee, too. Because nog.
Okay – that’s the “better late than never” edition of my Friday Five! Sorry it’s late, but it’s such a beautiful, warm, sunny day out there, I had trouble tearing myself away from the Great Outdoors. But for you, I did! You’re welcome – and Happy New Year!