- Happy Friday, everyone! I hope you’re looking forward to a perfectly scintillating First Weekend of October! At my little church, we’re looking forward to our annual Parish Family Festival, which basically means FOOD FOOD FOOD! Yours truly will be baking not one, not two, but THREE of her fantabulous Key Lime pies tomorrow, and they will NOT be “low calorie” or “healthy” – they will be DELICIOUS!!
- And of course, that means it’s the start of the dreaded Holiday Food Season! As us dieters are only too well aware, there’s a HUGE wave of food temptations heading our way over the next three months.
All Hallows Eve isn’t as big an issue for me as it used to be, thanks to a brainstorm I had a few years ago (when buying candy for trick or treaters, ONLY buy candy you absolutely HATE, so you won’t be tempted to scarf it all down yourself).
Thanksgiving is a little more problematic due to the turkey, dressing, and of course, GRAVY (my ancient nemesis!) flowing like a river through the whole works.
Then, of course, there’s the Birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ*, which translates into all sorts of delectable sweeties, for days and days and days and…
It’ll be tough, but hang in there – we’ll get through it together!
(By the way, I know some of you may celebrate some other holidays – Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, etc. – and that’s fine! This isn’t a religious blog. But I’m all about the Christmas stuff, so you’ll just have to put up with it. Sorry! Anyway, I understand from informed sources that those holidays have their own sets of food issues as well. Dieting is an ecumenical issue!)
- Is anyone else watching Seth MacFarlane’s witty sci-fi series, “The Orville”? Last night’s episode featured one of the alien characters, in a fit of depression, sitting in front of the TV watching “The Sound of Music” while scarfing down a gallon of Rocky Road ice cream, which he’d obtained by asking the computer what people did when they were depressed. How about you? What’s your comfort food? Maybe in future posts, we’ll explore some lower-calorie options for those days when you just… can’t…
- Man, it’s hard to come up with five things, first thing in the morning. Of course, I haven’t had my coffee yet. I did get up early to let the cats out, let the cats back in, feed the cats, give the cats their morning treats, clean out the cats’ litter boxes, cats cats cats cats cats…
- Don’t tell anyone, but there aren’t any actual “Key Limes” in my Key Lime pie. They’re just plain ol’ limes. That’s because I zest them myself, and regular-size limes are a LOT easier to scrape than those tiny itsy bitsy ones. Yet I still call it “Key Lime Pie.” What’s wrong with me?